Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Farewell Vancouver Island...

Until we meet again.

I'll be leaving the island on the 12:55 ferry from Departure Bay, and while I'm sad to go because this place is so amazing, I'm very excited to hit VanCity and see what it's all about.

Yesterday Jim made 17 jars of dill pickles from scratch while I did various things around the house and took Maggie on a walk; after lunch we headed to Parksville where we saw some fantastic sand castles, and then got back in the car and took Maggie to Little Qualicum Falls. It was AMAZING there, so gorgeous and rain-foresty, and even though it was raining it was warm and gorgeous. On our way back from the Falls we stopped in Coombs again to see the goats on the roof and look around a bit; I found a thank-you tee shirt for Reta with some illustrated Cathedral Grove trees on the front, and conversed with the lady who owned the fudge shop, who was originally from Hamilton.
In the evening after dinner Reta and I went 2 doors down to Doreen and Howard's house; they're two older people who have been friends to Jim and Reta since they arrived on the island. They have two cats, Pumpkin who was abused in her first home and rarely greets guests, and Holly who is deliciously tubby and pure black, not to mention very cuddly. We had a chat and some tea with Doreen, who is delightfully British, and then came back to the house. It rained pretty hard so it was cool and not so cheerful, but it was good to experience both ends of Vancouver Island weather instead of being duped into thinking that it's gorgeous and sunny there all the time.
Now I'm waiting for my clothes to dry, and soon we'll head out the door and I'll be gone from this place until the next time I have enough money to visit.
Such experiences!!

-Laur

No comments: